Celebrating its 10th anniversary, the Detroit RiverFront Conservancy will host its largest fundraising event of the year, Shimmer on the River, at the brand new Grand Ballroom at Cobo Center on Thursday, September 12 from 6:30 p.m. to midnight. With gorgeous views of Detroit’s vibrant riverfront, the event will bring together hundreds of business and community leaders to raise funds for the non-profit Conservancy and to enjoy an eclectic evening of music, food and entertainment.

During this year’s festivities, the Conservancy will host a brief ceremony to honor Marlene and John Boll for their significant support of the riverfront and their longtime commitment of philanthropy in the community through the John A. and Marlene L. Boll Foundation, which has enriched the lives of thousands of families.

Shimmer on the River, which has received major support from Strategic Staffing Solutions and Tooles Contracting Group, LLC, will be one of the first events to take place in the new Grand Ballroom inside the renovated Cobo Center. Guests will have the opportunity to experience Detroit’s newest banquet and event space, which will be transformed into an urban oasis. The glass enclosed ballroom also features an open-air terrace for guests to take in spectacular views of the Detroit River. A VIP reception will kick off the event from 5:30 – 6:30 p.m.

“The Detroit riverfront is truly one of our city’s and region’s greatest assets and the Detroit RiverFront Conservancy’s public-private partnership is a shining example of what a community can accomplish when working together,” said Roy Roberts, Honorary Co-Chair of Shimmer on the River, along with his wife Maureen Roberts.

“This year’s Shimmer on the River celebrates the 10th anniversary of the Detroit RiverFront Conservancy and will help raise funds which allow for the continued development and ongoing maintenance of the riverfront,” said Sandy Pierce, chairman and CEO of FirstMerit Michigan and Honorary Co-Chair of Shimmer on the River, along with her husband Tom Pierce.

Delicious food stations will offer guests a variety of hors d’oeuvres and small plates, including made to order homemade ice cream. Shimmer guests will also have the opportunity to watch a live painting by artist Fel3000ft, presented by Street Culture Mash, during the event and have a chance to purchase the unique piece of artwork during a silent auction.

Tickets are now available for this spectacular evening and include: VIP, $350 each, allowing admission to cocktail reception at 5:30 p.m.; General Admission, $200 each, allowing admission at 6:30 p.m.; and new this year, Young Professional tickets for those 35 and under, $100 each, allowing admission at 6:30 p.m. All guests receive complimentary valet parking. Tickets for Shimmer on the River may be purchased by calling 313.566.8206 or online at www.ShimmerOnTheRiver.com.

About The Detroit RiverFront Conservancy 

Celebrating its 10th anniversary this year, the Detroit RiverFront Conservancy is a non-profit organization founded in 2003 with the mission to develop public access to Detroit’s riverfront and serve as an anchor for economic development. As the permanent stewards of the riverfront public space, which includes the RiverWalk and the Dequindre Cut, the Conservancy is responsible for raising the funds needed for the construction, operation, maintenance, security and programming of these public spaces. The Conservancy’s ultimate vision is to develop five-and-a-half miles of riverfront from the Ambassador Bridge on the west to Gabriel Richard Park, just east of the MacArthur Bridge to Belle Isle.

The first phase of the project, three-and-a-half miles along the east riverfront, is 80 percent complete and spans from Joe Louis Arena to Gabriel Richard Park, with the remaining 20 percent currently under construction. In the summer of 2012, the Conservancy launched the final construction phases needed to complete the east riverfront development project and connect the RiverWalk and its associated green spaces, plazas and parks. In the spring of 2013, the Conservancy launched construction at a 20-acre parcel along West Jefferson, the first phase of development that will bring public access to the west riverfront. Visit www.detroitriverfront.org for more information.


Post a Comment