Art X Detroit: Kresge Arts Experience makes its return to Midtown this Wednesday, April 10, through Sunday, April 14. For five days, an exciting collection of visual art installations, dance, musical and theatrical performances, and literary readings will debut throughout 15 cultural venues in the vibrant Midtown district, featuring the 38 Kresge Artist Fellows and Eminent Artists awarded in 2011 and 2012.
The biennial Art X Detroit (AXD) attracted thousands in its 2011 debut, and Detroit’s arts scene continues to generate excitement nationally and internationally. Attendees will experience new works and performances at the Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit (MOCAD), the Detroit Institute of Arts (DIA) and Detroit Film Theatre, the Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History, the Detroit Symphony Orchestra Music Box, the College for Creative Studies and other venues in Midtown’s Cultural Center. Due to capacity at many of the venues, attendees are encouraged to arrive early to ensure access to some events.
· Opening Reception - Art X Detroit will kick off with an Opening Reception on Wednesday, April 10, 6:15 -11:00 p.m. This multi-venue celebration will include a number of live music and dance performances.
Registration is required at this event and can be done through ArtXDetroit.com or by calling 313.420.6000.
· Hubert Massey’s Mural Unveil - Known for his large public installations, Hubert Massey will unveil his new 30’ x 60’ mural titled, “The People’s Vision,” during a public ceremony on Thursday, April 11, at 2:30 p.m. outside of the Wayne State University Press Building at the corner of Woodward and Warren. The mural’s imagery is based on discussions that took place during community forums held by Massey as part of his artistic process. A post-unveil reception will take place at MOCAD from 3-3:45 p.m. and his preliminary drawings of the mural will be on view at MOCAD throughout April.
· DFT Film Screenings - On Friday, April 12, the DIA’s Detroit Film Theater will host a variety of film screenings. Films include Corrie Baldauf’s, “Frames for the People: A City of Halos,” Ken Meisel and Passalacqua’s “Never Alone,” “Star by Star: Naomi Long Madgett, Poet and Publisher,” and Maria Costa’s premiere of “¡Viva America!” Following each film screening, attendees have the opportunity to attend a Q&A session with the artists and filmmakers.
· AXD 2013 Exhibition - MOCAD will keep the spirit of Art X alive throughout the entire month of April by hosting the Art X Detroit 2013 Exhibition. From April 10 - 28, the creative works of all twelve Kresge Visual Arts Fellows and one Kresge Literary Arts Fellow will be featured in the exhibition. From paintings to sculptures, photography to mixed-media installations, this exhibition provided the artists an opportunity to showcase recent or new works, collaborate with others or explore an altogether new medium for their work.
· AXD Panel Discussions - Six engaging Art X Detroit Panel Discussions will take place April 10-13 at MOCAD. Nationally-recognized panelists, along with local arts practitioners, will dive into a number of topics, including community engagement through the arts, creative placemaking, arts coverage in the media and higher education in the arts.
For a complete Art X Detroit schedule visit www.ArtXDetroit.com. Visit Art X on Facebook for updates and for behind-the-scenes information. For more information on the Kresge Arts in Detroit program, visit www.kresgeartsindetroit.org.
Art X Detroit is funded by The Kresge Foundation and produced by Midtown Detroit, Inc., a nonprofit organization spearheading reinvestment in Midtown through the arts, beautification and economic development. Supported by ArtServe Michigan, the College for Creative Studies and MOCAD.