|Photo: Shanna Gorga|
Last Night, Hatch Detroit announced the top 10 semi-finalists in the 2016 Comerica Hatch Detroit Contest presented by Opportunity Detroit. The public is invited to cast their ballots for their favorite top 10 businesses during the primary voting period, from , to determine the four finalists who will compete to win $50,000 from Comerica Bank and more than $200,000 in pro bono services from Hatch Detroit and its partners.
“With more than 150 applications submitted to this year’s contest, it’s clear that Detroit is a destination for small businesses,” said Vittoria Katanski, executive director, Hatch Detroit. “Now it’s up to the community to weigh in on which types of businesses they would like to see in Detroit by voting for their next retail neighbor.”
The top 10 businesses seeking public votes are:
· Ash & Anvil is the first company to design clothes specifically for younger, shorter guys. After launching a successful eCommerce store, they’re expanding to a brick & mortar location.
· Bird Bee is a lifestyle clothing boutique offering a mix of modern bohemian, vintage inspired and contemporary clothing, shoes, jewelry and accessories.
· Brut Detroit will be Grandmont Rosedale’s neighborhood wine bar, making wine approachable, affordable and fun for everyone through wine tastings, events and friendly service.
· Chugga’s Main Street Bakery is a women owned, family operated bakery that is looking to open in Highland Park. They specialize in breads using simple all natural ingredients, that are healthy and nutritious.
· Corbé is a ceramic design and manufacturing studio located in the North End of Detroit looking to open up retail space. They handcraft porcelain wares that are simple and useful, built for the modern home and table.
· Coriander is looking to expand their urban farm and catering business into a brick & mortar café, featuring casual, affordable, healthy food in a rustic, beautiful environment in Detroit.
· Detroit Dart Club hosts Nerf battles, offering a fun way to engage kids and adults in exercise. They’re looking to expand to a second, larger location in Southwest Detroit.
· ITADAKU (it-uh-da-ckoo) is a fine-casual sustainable sushi shop opening in Corktown. They make fine dining quality sushi at an affordable price, using sustainable seafood and organic produce.
· Meta Physica Massage will open a Wellness Center offering therapeutic bodywork, full spectrum infrared saunas, a raw juice bar, an herbal apothecary and health inspired retail, meditation classes and community workshops.
· The Natural Market’s vision is to open a boutique specializing in Handmade Bath, Body & Home Products and customized fragrances.
Full company bios are available at: www.HatchDetroit.com.
“We take great pride in working with Hatch Detroit and look forward to seeing each of these talented entrepreneurs bring their Detroit retail ideas to life,” said Linda Forte, senior vice president of Business Affairs, Comerica Bank. “The Comerica Hatch Detroit Contest has already helped 14 businesses open their doors and we can’t wait to see how this year’s winner and the nine semi-finalists will make an impact in Detroit.”
"The Hatch Detroit Contest is instrumental in accelerating Detroit's entrepreneurial community, and Opportunity Detroit is proud to be a part of an initiative that views small businesses as a catalyst for creating jobs and wealth for our city," said RJ Wolney, Director of Finance at Bedrock Detroit and Hatch Detroit Board Member. "We are excited to see the next group of companies that will join the Hatch Alumni network of retail businesses that embodies the innovative and collaborative environment that we believe makes Detroit so exciting."
To vote in the primary, please visit HatchDetroit.com/vote, Hatch Detroit’s Facebook page or vote in person at the following locations:
· , at SISTER PIE
· , at EASTERN MARKET, SHED 3
The primary voting period will close. Finalists will be announced and the general election voting period will begin. The finalists will present their final business pitches to a panel of judges before the winner is announced at the Hatch Off event at The M@dison Building in Detroit.