The regional initiative aims to build healthier, stronger communities and runs through November 2010. Volunteers may register for individual projects by visiting www.LiveUnitedSEM.org.
Participating Panera Bread project locations include bakery-cafes across metro Detroit. Prior to each project, the designated bakery-cafe will host a breakfast and informational session. Volunteers will also receive a complimentary T-Shirt and a Panera Bread catered lunch upon project completion.
Volunteer opportunities include:
· Saturday, Feb. 20 | 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. at the Baldwin Center in Pontiac. Up to 20 pre-registered volunteers will meet at 9 a.m. at the Orion Panera Bread, located at 4804 S. Baldwin Rd. Volunteers will then travel to the Baldwin Center to assist with sorting donations.
· Saturday, March 6 | 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. at Starfish Family Services in Inkster. Up to 20 pre-registered volunteers will meet at 9 a.m. at the Panera Bread located at 26580 Ford Rd. in Dearborn Heights. Volunteers will then travel to Starfish, where they will put together storage units and paint murals for Head Start classrooms.
· Saturday, April 24 | 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. at Solid Ground in Roseville. Up to 20 pre-registered volunteers will meet at 9 a.m. at the Roseville bakery-cafe located at 31960 Gratiot Ave. Volunteers will then travel to Solid Ground, where they will build shelves and work to create a food pantry.
· Saturday, May 8 | 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. at Lincoln Middle School in Warren. Up to 100 pre-registered volunteers assist with various indoor and outdoor beautification projects such as landscaping and painting murals.
· Saturday, June 26 | 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. at Southwest Counseling Solutions in Detroit. Up to 20 pre-registered volunteers will meet at 9 a.m. at the Allen Park Panera Bread, located at 3112 Fairlane Dr. Volunteers will then travel to Southwest Counseling Solutions to assist with outdoor beautification.
· Saturday, Sept. 25 | 8 a.m. – 12 p.m. at Gleaners locations in Detroit, Pontiac, Warren and Taylor. Pre-registered volunteers will travel to various Gleaner’s locations where they will sort and pack food items that will be delivered to homeless shelters and other non-profits in need. Volunteers will meet at the following Panera Bread bakery-cafes at 8 a.m.:
o Gleaners of Detroit: Grosse Pointe bakery-cafe at 17150 Kercheval Ave.
o Gleaners of Pontiac: Waterford bakery-cafe at 5175 Highland Rd.
o Gleaners of Warren: Sterling Heights bakery cafe at 36808 Van Dyke Ave.
o Gleaners of Taylor: Southgate bakery-cafe at 13857 Eureka Rd.
· Saturday, Oct. 23 | 9 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. at LightHouse PATH in Pontiac. Up to 15 pre-registered volunteers will meet at 9 a.m. at the Bloomfield Hills Panera Bread located at 2125 S. Telegraph Rd. Volunteers will then travel to LightHouse PATH, where they will participate in a Halloween reading and craft activity with mothers and their children.
· Saturday, Nov. 13 | 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. at Vista Maria in Dearborn Heights. Up to 15 pre-registered volunteers will meet at 9 a.m. at the Dearborn Panera Bread, located at 22208 Michigan Ave. Volunteers will then travel to Vista Maria to assist with indoor and outdoor beautification tasks.
For more information about volunteer opportunities or to register for a project, visit www.LiveUnitedSEM.org, or call (313) 226-9200. Volunteers must register to participate in a project.